You’ve been blogging for weeks or even months. But you’re still lacking real traffic. Why is that?
1. You don’t read. Why should other people read your blog, if you don’t read blogs? Get a feed reader and start subscribing!
2. You don’t comment. This is the bread and butter of blogging. Give feedback and thoughts to other bloggers. If you’re not leaving at least one comment per day, step it up a notch.
3. It’s ugly. Content is king, but aesthetics is queen. People don’t like reading ugly blogs, so spruce yours up a bit.
4. It’s cluttered. You could have the best design, but clutter it up with ads, widgets, gadgets. People like bells and whistles, but your blog still has to be usable.
5. Comments aren’t allowed. Just like people enjoy receiving blog comments, they like to comment themselves. Enable comments and disable moderation.
6. You don’t trackback. When you read a good article on another blog, “trackback” to your own blog. This means that you write your own take on the article and link back to the original post. Spread the link love.
7. Typos abound. Blogs aren’t formal writing, but your posts have to be readable. Do a quick spell check and re-read each post before publishing.
8. Posts are long and unbroken. Screens of plain text are boring. Break your posts up into lists, bullets, and short paragraphs. Add an image or two to provide visual focus.
9. Readers don’t know you. If you don’t provide info about yourself on the blog, it feels impersonal. Be sure to write a good “about” page and give details about yourself. Your name isn’t required, but you can give basics about your interests, likes, dislikes, etc.
10. You don’t network. It’s a big internet out there. You need a big network! Make friends with other bloggers, post to social bookmarking sites, participate in carnivals, and jump in on group writing projects.
Those are my 10 thoughts on getting blog readers. They’re nothing new, but I’ve been getting more and more emails from people asking for basic info. So there you have it.
What do you think? I’m counting on you to add number 11.
[tags]blogging, promotion, marketing[/tags]
Get more legal tips