One of the awesome things about blogging is that you can give to others so easily. Here are my top (random) 11 ways to give to others by blogging. See how many you can do!
11. Link – This is the basic and simplest way to give something to someone else online. Links are the currency of the internet. They enable us to find each other, but they also have inherent value. Link to someone!
10. Read – We all need more readers and visitors. Why don’t we give a little to each other by reading more?
9. Tell – Besides just linking to others, you can tell your friends about blogs they might like. This is a great way to network and advance your business contacts as well. Plus, you’re giving great traffic and publicity to other bloggers. Everyone wins.
8. Tip – Blogtipping is a great practice where you pick a blog and write a little post about (people usually do three at a time). You write three things you like about the blog, and then you provide one tip to the blogger. Cool.
7. Submit – Social networking sites like digg and del.icio.us provide great ways to support bloggers you like. If you run across a great article, submit it to your favorite social net site. This provides greater exposure to the blogger and connects him with more readers.
6. Comment – Everyone loves a good conversation. That’s what blogging is all about; it’s a conversation that roams around the web. When you comment on another person’s blog, you’re giving a tiny bit of yourself. You’re carrying on the conversation and contributing to something bigger than all of us.
5. Review – Aside from blogtipping, you can flat out review another blogger’s work. There’s no prescribed format for this, just to be polite. Quote, screenshot, link, and add your thoughts.
4. Thank – Sometimes a simple “thank you” goes a long way. If someone did something nice for you, give them an online thanks in return. It’s polite, public, and really gets your message across. [Speaking of which, our LexisNexis rep thanked me for my article about earning points via short exercises. It's cool how things get back to people.]
3. Connect – Relationships are powerful. You can give a person this powerful asset by connecting her with a like-minded blogger. That’s what networking is all about.
2. Advocate – Don’t forget the power of your blog itself. You can give to a worthy cause or person by advocating through your blog. Promote charitable giving or social action.
1. Inform – Education is a great gift. Even if you’re just giving a small lesson about a discrete topic, that still empowers your reader. Blogs perform this task incredibly well, and they inform people about their world. Give the gift of knowledge.
What are you waiting for? Try some of these ways to give to others. Do you have any to add? Leave a comment or drop me a line.
Get more legal tips